The frictionless WebAssembly platform for writing microservices and web apps
With Fermyon, you can deploy your Spin applications onto a server in moments. For developers, it offers a rapid self-service cloud application platform (or Platform-as-a-Service). For DevOps, Fermyon provides orchestration, networking, service discovery, and a web UI for Spin applications.
For the developer, Fermyon works like a cloud application platform or PaaS (think CloudFoundry or Heroku, but for Spin apps). With just a few commands, a developer can go from a blinking cursor to a deployed application:
spin newto create a new application
spin buildto locally build it
- Finally, use
spin deployto deploy it to Fermyon
The Fermyon dashboard, a web app, makes it easy to configure your app, choose a channel (dev, stage, prod), and check the status and logs.
Fermyon offers all of the perks of a deployment platform, including a web UI. But if you are just doing local development, you can use
spin build --upto run your app locally.
The Spin quickstart will get you going with Spin. Read on if you want to install Fermyon on a server or in the cloud.
From the DevOps perspective, Fermyon provides the clustering, orchestration, service discovery, package management, HTTP proxy, and web UI.
- Fermyon uses the Nomad scheduler to schedule Spin applications across a cluster.
- Along with Nomad, Fermyon uses Consul for service discovery
- Fermyon runs a Bindle server to provide package management in the Spin data plane.
- HTTP proxying is provided by Traefik
- And the web UI for Spin is provided by Hippo
While the Fermyon installer creates a single-node cluster, you can scale up Nomad to as many workers as you would like. Future versions of the AWS installer will likely support more complex roll-outs.
Fermyon can be installed in a few ways:
- Use a shell installer to run a version locally
- Use Terraform to deploy to your preferred cloud:
- Here’s how to get up and running on a single Amazon EC2 instance
- There is also a multi-node configuration for AWS
- There are also quick-starts for Azure, DigitalOcean and GCP
Don’t want to install Fermyon on your own account? Try out Fermyon Cloud, our hosted option.