The frictionless WebAssembly platform for writing microservices and web apps
With Fermyon, you can deploy your Spin applications onto a server in moments. For developers, it offers a rapid self-service cloud application platform (or Platform-as-a-Service). For DevOps, Fermyon provides orchestration, networking, service discovery, and a web UI for Spin applications.
For the developer, Fermyon works like a cloud application platform or PaaS (think CloudFoundry or Heroku, but for Spin apps). With just a few commands, a developer can go from a blinking cursor to a deployed application:
spin newto create a new application
spin buildto locally build it
- Finally, use
spin deployto deploy it to Fermyon
The Fermyon dashboard, a web app, makes it easy to configure your app, choose a channel (dev, stage, prod), and check the status and logs.
Fermyon offers all of the perks of a deployment platform, including a web UI. But if you are just doing local development, you can use
spin build --upto run your app locally.
The Spin quickstart will get you going with Spin. Read on if you want to install Fermyon on a server or in the cloud.
From the DevOps perspective, Fermyon provides the clustering, orchestration, service discovery, package management, HTTP proxy, and web UI.
- Fermyon uses the Nomad scheduler to schedule Spin applications across a cluster.
- Along with Nomad, Fermyon uses Consul for service discovery
- Fermyon runs a Bindle server to provide package management in the Spin data plane.
- HTTP proxying is provided by Traefik
- And the web UI for Spin is provided by Hippo
While the Fermyon installer creates a single-node cluster, you can scale up Nomad to as many workers as you would like. Future versions of the AWS installer will likely support more complex roll-outs.
Fermyon can be installed in a few ways:
- Use a shell installer to run a version locally
- Use Terraform to deploy to your preferred cloud:
- Here’s how to get up and running on a single Amazon EC2 instance
- There is also a multi-node configuration for AWS
- There are also quick-starts for Azure, DigitalOcean and GCP
Don’t want to install Fermyon on your own account? Try out Fermyon Cloud, our hosted option.
Questions? Join our Discord server to discuss this project and connect with our team — or sign up to become an Insider, for announcements and early access invitations.